Wednesday 3 July 2013

REINVENTING THE BICYCLE

I was asked if I would do something to enhance the front of this derelict building.  It used to be a bicycle shop up to 1987.
I set about a design based on bicycle parts.  I collected used parts from various people who were delighted to get involved in the project.  It created a buzz around the place.  These were cleaned up sanded ready for painting.
Then the next stage was to get timber that would suit outdoors and also blend into the condition of the building.  I went to Sheerans of Mountrath  www.timberfencinggates.ie 
They have a great range of timber and were most helpful in suggesting what I could use.
 The Timber is pressure treated and I painted it with Crown Weathercoat emulsion in Grey.  Then I gave it a distressed look with Rustins Blackboard paint.
Next stage was painting the wheels and making the flowers.  I used spray enamel for this stage of the project.  The flowers were made from recycled drink cans and mounted with heavy wire to the bicycle wheels.  Then on to the site where it was all put together and screwed to the existing framework. 
Using the chain the words "Wheels of Time" were added to give information to the meaning of the design.
 Finally it was ready for the general public to view.  It has been greatly admired and is being put forward for an award in September.  I will let you know how it goes.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment